The ACA provides a surveillance program from 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. Monday through Friday and 24-hour coverage on Saturday, Sunday, and federal holidays. The surveillance patrol is intended to act as a deterrent. The surveillance staff has no arrest powers and is not armed. They are to observe and report. They are uniformed and travel through the Community many times each night. They can be reached by residents at (301) 299-1518. The vehicles used by the patrol are white, have a patrol light mounted on the roof, and also have the word "AVENEL" lettered on the vehicle.
The cooperation of a watchful community is required in order to make any surveillance program function effectively. Prompt and accurate reporting of any suspicious activity or unusual occurrence is the type of assistance needed: For an emergency call the Montgomery County Police (911) or for a non-emergency call the non-emergency police at (301) 279-8000 and then call ACA surveillance at (301) 299-1518.
Surveillance patrol duties and responsibilities:
The Surveillance Patrol duties are listed below. Should you have special needs please call the Association offices at (301) 299-5916 during the work week or the Surveillance Patrol at (301) 299-1518 after office hours and on week-ends.
- Be the "eyes and ears" for the local police and fire jurisdiction. The patrol is expected to note any suspicious vehicles or individuals, solicitors, loose dogs or unsafe conditions. Their primary function is to note such activity and report it to the appropriate authority and/or resident. This may include the County police, WSSC Security, Park Police, Animal Control, or other authorities.
- Provide a visible presence. They are to be consistently visible in the community to provide a deterrent, especially to property crimes such as burglary, theft and vandalism.
- Monitor conditions of roadways in Avenel, particularly during inclement weather, allowing Management to direct resources as efficiently as possible.
- Monitor parking problems, particularly in fire lanes, no-parking areas and in front of driveways. They can give a "courtesy notification" to the vehicle owner or notify the police department when appropriate.
- Give directions to visitors to Avenel. This will not only allow legitimate visitors to more easily find their destination, but discourage unwanted solicitors/visitors from wandering through Avenel on the pretext of "looking for a street or home".
- Monitor and enforce compliance of our resale signage program, only Avenel approved resale signs are permitted.
- Continually pick up trash and debris throughout the community, especially along, but not limited to, roadways.
- Play an important role in the maintenance of streetlights (whether County or Avenel-maintained) by identifying and marking streetlights when they fail.
- Monitor areas within our community such as the golf course, the park, bike paths, and the TPC ponds as well as the construction areas to discourage trespassing and vandalism.
- As a courtesy when observed, surveillance will notify residents when their garage doors are open between the hours of 11:00 pm. and 6:00 am.
- Deter solicitation within the community.